2015_Middle School Physical- Permission Form.pdf
STUDENT REQUIREMENTS (ELIGIBILITY)
- Must be a bona fide full time student in good academic standing in the middle school that he/she wants to participate.
- May participate in each activity only once as a seventh grader and once as an eighth grader or a total of two (2) years.
- May NOT participate during the days assigned to In-School Suspension.
- May NOT participate for the remainder of
the season if the student received two (2) In-School Suspensions
assignments or one (1) Out-of-school Suspension within that season or
length of time determined by the principal or designee.
- Must satisfactorily complete the Portsmouth
Middle School League Athletic Participation/Parent Consent/Physician’s
form at least once a year, before the student may practice for an
athletic event. The forms are good from May 1 of the current year
through June 30th of the succeeding year.
- May not have reached the age of fifteen (15) on or before August 1st of the school year you intend to participate.
- In order to participate in practice or a game a student must be in attendance in school that day.
- If school is postponed due to inclement weather, there will not be practice or games that day
The Portsmouth Public School
Division believes that a dynamic program of student activities is vital
to the educational development of the student. Athletics should
function as an integral part of the total curriculum. It should offer
opportunities to serve the institution to assist in the development of
fellowship and good will, to promote self-realization, and all around
growth, and to encourage learning the qualities of good citizenship.
LEARNING is more important than winning, and HAVING FUN is more
important than statistics.
- To provide a positive image and display good sportsmanship while striving to win.
- To provide opportunities for physical, mental, and emotional development
- To provide opportunities for the students to experience success in an activity, he or she selects.
- To provide those student activities which offer the greatest benefits for the greatest number of students.
- To provide for the student worthy use of leisure time now and in the future.
- To practice self-discipline and emotional maturity in learning to make decisions under pressure.
- To develop high ideals of fairness in all human relationships.
- To improve athletic skills and participation in school activities.
- To improve leadership skills and be a positive role model.
- To enhance the following within the school: attendance, discipline, academic study habits, and school spirit.
PORTSMOUTH MIDDLE SCHOOL LEAGUE (PMSL)
The purpose of the Portsmouth
Middle School League shall be to conduct a program of supervised
competitions in athletics, academics, and such other school activities
deemed to further the total education of students. The voting
membership is made up of Portsmouth Public Schools three middle school
principals or designee (assistant principals only). The three middle
school athletic directors and the Supervisor of Athletics are non voting
members of the PMSL. Also the activities directors of the Portsmouth
high schools will be advisors to the League. Virginia High school
League rules and regulations do NOT cover middle school athletic
programs. All rules and regulations are set by the PMSL.
Athletic and activity schedules can be found by going to the Portsmouth Public Schools website and clicking on a particular middle school.
Churchland Middle School
Cradock Middle School
Linda D. Brown
Waters Middle School