Click here for Preschool requirements and registration schedule
Portsmouth Public Schools Bright Start Preschool Program, A Virginia Preschool Initiative “Every Child deserves a Bright Start."
The Bright Start Program is made possible through the Virginia Preschool Initiative. It is designed to provide a high quality developmentally appropriate preschool education for the four-year-olds in Portsmouth who meet the established at-risk criteria. Selection for participation in the program is based on the determination of need detailed by the state and local district.
Selection to Bright Start is determined by specific eligibility criteria, including:
• At or below 200% poverty level
• Parent(s) did not graduate high school
• Child being raised by someone other than birth parent(s)
• Grandparent, aunt, cousin, foster, other guardian, etc.
• Must have proof of custody
• Military (Active duty, Deployment, Veterans)
• English Language Learner
• Parent Incarceration
• Single Parent Home
• Disabled Parent
• Students with special needs or disabilities, contact the Special Education Dept. for registration at 757-393-8658
In order to register for Kindergarten, the student must be 5 years old on or before September 30, 2017.
Click here for Kindergarten requirements and registration information
To determine the school, please click here.
For questions, please call 757-393-5128 or 757-393-8392.